Healthy sausage rolls with whole grain
This recipe for healthy sausage rolls is filled with whole grain and is absolutely delicious. Eat them for lunch or use them as a snack during the day.
5 dl water
3 dl skimmed milk
50 g of fresh yeast
4 teaspoons of salt
4 eggs (a little bit extra for the egg wash)
16 sausages (choose high-quality meat)
400 g whole grain flour
200 g rolled oats
400 g wheat flour
Ketchup (amount as you please)
* This is for a large batch – 32 good-sized sausage rolls. If you want a smaller batch, divide the numbers with two.
How to make the healthy sausage rolls
– Warm up the water and milk. You can use a microwave or do it on a stove. You don’t necessarily need to use a thermometer. You can check the temperature by using your (clean) finger. The liquids need to be slightly warm, but not hot. If you get much above 40 degrees Celsius you run the risk of killing the yeast. If you go below 30 degrees Celsius its growth slows down dramatically.
– Add the yeast and stir. Add the other ingredients and knead the dough well. It’s good if the dough is a bit sticky, when you leave it to rise. It needs to rise for about half an hour.
– Knead the dough again and divide it into 4 portions. Roll out each portion to a circle with a diameter of 35-40 centimeters. Spread ketchup out on each circle.
– Divide each circle into eight squares. Cut the sausages in half and use one half on each square. Roll the dough around the sausages and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make sure that the closure is downwards.
– Use an egg wash and brush it onto the surface of the sausage rolls.
– Let the sausage rolls rise again for about half an hour. Preheat the oven on 225 degrees Celsius and bake them in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes (or until they are golden).