Healthy pizza buns with whole grain
This recipe will give you around 12 good-sized healthy pizza buns. You can put them in the freezer and defrost them, whenever you like.
Ingredients for the dough:
4 dl water
50 g yeast
5 tablespoons of olive oil
100 g graham flour
500 g whole grain flour
Ingredients for the topping:
1/2 dl water
3 cloths of garlic
1 can of peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of dried basil
300 g of chicken breast fillet
1 bell pepper
How to make the healthy pizza buns
– Warm up the water. It needs to be lukewarm.
– Add the yeast and stir.
– Add 3 tablespoons of oil, 3 teaspoons of salt and all the flour. Knead the dough well.
– Let the dough rise for about half an hour.
– When the dough has risen, knead it again, and form 12 buns.
– Place them on a tray lined with baking paper and pressure them flat with your palm.
– Peel and chop the union and the garlic.
– Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a pot. Fry onions and garlic for about 1 minute
– Add 1/2 dl water, tomatoes, oregano, basil and 1 teaspoon of salt
– Let the sauce cook at low heat and without a lid on for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
– Cut the chicken in strips. Heat up 1 table spoon of oil in a pan and fry the chicken strips until they’re cooked through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
– Cut the bell pepper in strips.
– Distribute the sauce on to the buns. Put the chicken and bell pepper on top.
– Bake the healthy pizza buns in a preheated oven on 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
If you are baking these for children, you should be aware that some children at a certain age are quite particular with certain types of food. Also, they might not like to get food mixed together, and will refuse to eat the buns because the topping is touching the dough. Consider making a few without chicken and bell pepper on as a back-up. Read more about why toddlers don’t want food to touch.